From the book's Preface:
' The Empire upon which the sunlight by no means sets.' we know those phrases, and we are saying them with a a bit of proud and grand air, for that massive Empire is ours. It belongs to us, and we to it.
But even if we're happy with our Empire it can be that a few of us comprehend little of its background. We basically understand it because it now's, and we fail to remember maybe that there has been a time whilst it didn't exist. We overlook that it has grown to be nice out of very small beginnings. We fail to remember that it didn't develop nice all of sudden, yet that with pluck and persistence our fellow-countrymen equipped it up through little and via little, each one forsaking him a vaster inheritance than he discovered. So, ' lest we forget,' during this ebook i've got informed the various most enjoyable and engaging tales concerning the build up of this our nice background and ownership.
But we can't
' upward thrust with the sunlight and journey with a similar,
till the subsequent morning he rises again.'
We can't in a single day gird the complete international approximately, following the solar in his direction, traveling with him all of the many nations, all of the scattered islands of the ocean which shape the robust Empire upon which he by no means ceases to polish. No, it's going to take us many days to compass the
journey, and little eyes may soreness, little brains be weary lengthy ahead of the story ended did i attempt to inform of all "'the far-away isles of domestic, the place the outdated speech is local, and the outdated flag floats." So during this publication you can find tales of the 5 leader parts of our Empire merely, that's of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and India. yet possibly a few day, when you greet those tales as kindly as you will have greeted these of britain and of Scotland, i'm going to let you know in one other booklet extra tales of Our Empire.
Sample content material from the book's seventy-eight chapters:
- How Lief the Son of Eric the crimson Sailed into the West
- Westward! Westward! Westward!
- How a Breton Sailor got here to Canada
- the tale of Henry Hudson
- The Founding of Quebec
- The Adventures of LaSalle
- "There is not anything New lower than the solar"
- The Founding of Sydney
- The Adventures of George Bass and Matthew Flinders
- the 1st tourist in Queensland
- The discovering of Gold
- The Bushrangers
- How a superb White fowl got here to the Shores
- The Apostle of latest Zealand
- How the Maoris grew to become the kids of the good White Queen
-"The Heavenly sunrise" and "The Wild Cabbage Leaf" Make War
- The Flagstaff War
- The Storming of the Bat's Nest
- the arriving of the Dutch
- the arriving of the French
- the arrival of the British
- the good Witch Doctor
- concerning the Black Napoleon
- the tale of a fake Prophet
- Alexander the nice Invades India
- How courageous males Went crusing Upon Unknown Seas
- the 1st British Ambassador is going to the court docket of the Emperor of India
- The Hatred of the Dutch
- The French in India
- the 1st Afghan War
Read Online or Download An Empire Story (Illustrated): Stories of India and the Greater Colonies Told to Children PDF
Similar australia & oceania books
Released in London in 1894. Contents:A Court-Day In Fiji -- The final Of The Cannibal Chiefs -- Tauyasa Of Naselai, Reformer -- A Coolie Princess -- Leone Of Notho -- Raluve -- The Rain-Makers -- Makereta -- Romeo And Juliet -- the girl Finau -- within the outdated Whaling Days -- The Fiery Furnace -- Friendship -- The Hermit Of Boot Island -- The Wars Of The Fishing-Rod -- the 1st Colonist.
For readers who have been swept away through less than the Tuscan sunlight, charmed by means of Le Divorce, and intrigued by means of The Descendants, here's a “moving, harmful, smart, and un-putdown-able tale” (Robert Drewe, writer of Our Sunshine) approximately midlife coming-of-age. They’ve been the easiest of pals for many years and noticeable everything—marriage, divorce, luck, and financial disaster.
Defined because the 'sly outdated fox of recent Zealand verse', Kendrick Smithyman is a tremendous New Zealand poet. In chosen Poems passionate dedication to the craft of language and to a feeling of position stamp the a hundred poems chosen via Peter Simpson. Thick with wry wit, unforeseen imagery and marvelous fluency, chosen Poems demonstrates Kendrick Smithyman's ability and success.
The definitive tale of the Australian crusade in Southeast Asia in the course of global conflict II from a number one army writerImpressive, compelling, and wealthy in human spirit, this can be a scrupulously researched and groundbreaking account of 1 of the main worrying calamities in Australian history—the Malayan crusade, the autumn of Singapore, and the following horrors of the Thai-Burma Railway.
- The King and the People of Fiji: Containing a Life of Thakombau; with Notices of the Fijians, Their Manners, Customs, and Superstitions, Previous to the Great Religious Reformation in 1854
- Fiji and the Fijians Volume 1
- His Last Chance at Redemption (Dark, Demanding and Delicious)
- The God of Small Things: A Novel
- The Valquez Seduction (The Playboys of Argentina Series Book 2)
- Waihou Journeys: The Archaeology of 400 years of Maori Settlement (Travel Guides)
Extra info for An Empire Story (Illustrated): Stories of India and the Greater Colonies Told to Children
An Empire Story (Illustrated): Stories of India and the Greater Colonies Told to Children